next stop ...

a continuous communication of the adventures of one young lady on her way to ... well, her next stop.

Friday, August 19, 2005


PULLIN' WEEDS & RAISIN' FUN(DS)


Back to Maine after a week ouside of Philly.
Quickly - had my second orientation for Mercy Volunteer Corps on Gwynedd Mercy College's Campus (great little spot) during the last heatwave. It was an adventure shuffling from Amazonian humidity and temps outside to artic blasts in the buildings and bedrooms. Many skits and group bonding activities happened during the week. We got more information to add to our bags of tricks for problem-solving and processing while we're away, and Eileen (my future flatmate) and I finally got a little time to sit down and get to know each other, and about our expectations for community life during the next year. I met many wonderful women during this week, and have such high hopes for the future of the church and the communities where they live. It was very refreshing. Also had an afternoon off to go to Philadelphia and be a tourist, so here are some of the tourist-y things we did:

The "we are but poor, lost tourists" routine in front of Independence Hall.

Chilled with the founding fathers (life-sized, bronze figures) for a bit in one of the museums (I'm the one calling the shots, never mind Mr. Senator next to me, there with his fist on the table.)

And, of course, goofed around as much as we could to try and keep things light.

And here we have my good international buds Tuleisha and Lauren (headed for Honduras together) being manhandled by our Founding Fathers - the nerve! (or was it the other way around?) At any rate, I will miss these two beauties sincerely - they are the comfort in my cup of tea, wink wink.

We also had the great good fortune to be hosted for an unforgettable evening by the Echelmeier family (I've undoubtedly misspelled that and will double-check and change it soon) in Philadelphia. Our friend Tierney was gearing up for a viaje to Mexico, but was still the most gracious hostess, taking us to see the Marion motherhouse, the Mercy bushes, and her fantastic family. To all who were there, I can't thank you enough - it was a delicious evening in every way!

I just want to take a minute to thank those who have made a donation to the Mercy Volunteer Corps so far - much support has come in over the past week in letters, cards, notes, emails and prayers, and I really appreciate so many people taking the time to check out the site and give a little encouragementWell, since I've been back the Hamel Family Band (aka the Von Trapp Family Singers, aka the Partridge Family) has been gearing up for another little performance at picnic tonight before we all scatter to the winds. My youngest sister, Molly, leaves for Freshman year of college this weekend, then I go to Guyana, then Genna (middle sister) leaves for her senior year in Chicago. So many milestones, so many miles away ... aah, but now is NOT the time to get misty about it - I have TONS of packing, last-minute preparations and manual labor for the picnic. First things first!

1 Comments:

  • At 4:35 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Kate....your baby sister is doing fine at college. I miss you so much and keep in touch! Love always.
    Trinity M

     

Post a Comment

<< Home