next stop ...

a continuous communication of the adventures of one young lady on her way to ... well, her next stop.

Saturday, November 19, 2005


wedding bells and a rising bollywood starlet

speaking of all things Hindu, i "got married" last weekend, hindu style. now, before my mother, father and all the MVC staff have collective heart failures, please let me explain:

several of the people i have befriended here are hindu. i was invited to go to a hindu wedding next weekend (the 26th - i'll let you know how that goes), and decided it might be at least a good laugh and at best an attempt to be culturally appropriate to wear "indian wear" to the wedding as a guest, since all the other guests will most likely be wearing it. just a way of saying "i'm trying to appreciate and experience your culture fully". so one of my friends had me try on a few of her sister's outfits (you can read that as DRESS-UP-FOR-GROWNUPS if you want to). here's what happened:


first i had informal dance lessons (which you can see in the picture above) to add to my indian dancing repetoir (so far all i knew was the "pat the dog and screw in the light bulb" move, which would get boring after about 4 minutes). i can now move my hips like i mean it AND twirl my wrists at the same time.

then i had a fantastic makeup team make me glamorous.

then i tried on a few outfits.

then i posed with my "groom".


i intend to make my bollywood debut directly after i finish my committment with MVC. if you are an agent who happens to be scouting promising international talent, be advised to be incontact with me after August, 2007. ;o)



ps. i'm going for my karate exam this tuesday, the 22nd. please pray that i have a strong kyai and good focus that night so i don't have to have the six year-olds tease me about only being a white belt anymore. (honestly, i could SO break them, doesn't matter if my belt is white or fuschia or fluorescent yellow. but, one of our oaths is "i will refrain from violent behaviour", so i keep my cool.) thanks!



2 Comments:

  • At 11:22 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Kate,
    Thanks for keeping us abreast with your travels. Our family is enjoying keeping pace with you as you experience this culture...Much better than National Geographic and bonus...you're family.
    Take Care and God Bless!
    Kim, Rob, Megan and Bethany

     
  • At 5:22 AM, Blogger McAuley - International said…

    Kate - querida mia - te luces fantastica en oro, que hindi mas linda! Las cosas aqui continuan como loco ... Mariana va muy bien (la nueva argentina nuestra). I get so discouraged when I read your blog only about 1x monthly. School is nuts. Getting ready to receive 6 chileans & teacher in March. So much to tell you, but so little time ... now Christmas! Querida - think of you SOOOO often. Thanks for keeping the blog and your wonder photos.

    UN BESO GRANDOTE
    love
    Terrilynn

     

Post a Comment

<< Home