next stop ...

a continuous communication of the adventures of one young lady on her way to ... well, her next stop.

Tuesday, February 21, 2006


See for yourself.


I'll begin at the end and then go back. Eileen and I took an "exploring Guyana" trip last weekend. Sunday afternoon in Mahaicony (pronounced my-cony) ended with a pig pile on the bed - no fun weekend would be complete without a GIANT BODY-SLAM!! This is my friend Buddy, his two "small" cousins (meaning younger) and his sister.




Saturday started with a fishing expedition in
Berbice county, just a few minutes down the road from Mahaicony, and a far, far cry from the busy-ness of Georgetown.


This is the country at 6:30. Yes, that is a long stand of coconut trees on the horizon.







The nets are made with small heavy weights around the fringes, so they sink down around the outsides and catch fish and prawns in the middle. The nets probably weigh about 15lbs.

This is Buddy's uncle freshwater fishing in someone's backyard pond - they breed the fish and invite friends occasionally.

TO FISH: first coil the net around your throwing hand, then pull nearly half separate and hold it with that same hand. The part in your hand you will release last, after you swing your arm back and then fling it forward, letting the momentum of the swing spread the part you are not holding so the net spreads out more or less in a circle as it flies.







Buddy and his uncle scaring fish out of the rushes - somebody's got to do the cold, wet work. I think it was so warm that their clothes were only slightly damp by the time we got back.








Pop Singh carefully towing in the line after a cast.

Pop Singh is a character. The night before he had us all sitting with smoke coming out of our ears trying to figure out the trick to his "magical" math problem. I'm so bad at arithmetic that he had to try someone else to double check if the trick still worked! It's been a long time since I had such a pleasant evening with a family.




Rajin and Pop Singh removing the catch. They chopped a few branches to put over the top of the bucket to keep the fish from flapping out.

The group of fishermen is led by Pop Singh, Buddy's dad. There is Buddy and Rajin (brothers), an uncle who is staying with them, a friend from down the road, and yours truly. I am sure I'm breaking a gender taboo or two, but they let me come and even let me cast a few times. I didn't even manage a prawn, though.




No pictures at the mandir (Hindu temple) since I didn't feel that was appropriate on a first visit, but Eileen and I had a lovely time.

After temple we headed to the ocean to play and to hold the BEACH CRICKET CHAMPIONSHIP MATCH OF SOUTH AMERICA ... I'm just so excited someone finally taught me! Turns out I'm a decent batswoman (thank you elementary softball!). I'll work on my bowling (pitching) next time.






Eileen and I taking some much-needed shade, relaxation and fresh mangoes after our tumble in the surf and cricket adventures.

After all these years, I finally learned how to slice a mango. What a great thing to finally know. Now I can eat them with far less juice spilling everywhere - although, that sticky goodness down to your elbows brings a joy all its own.





0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home