next stop ...

a continuous communication of the adventures of one young lady on her way to ... well, her next stop.

Tuesday, January 02, 2007

After the house was finally cleaned, it was on to another adventure! My family came for a visit on Boxing Day. My mother, father and two sisters were all supposed to come, but my youngest sister got really sick on the plane ride down, and she and my dad had to turn back. I was sad not to see them, but they know my thoughts are with them, and that we will see each other again soon enough. (She was much recovered when we talked to her on the phone three days later - probably just a really bad virus.)


My mother and Genna and I sang for the several Mercy convents in Georgetown, and for the boys at the orphanage. It was a little tricky, since I hadn't had much time to practice the music, but I think we managed quite well. That was very special to be able to share the gifts of music and Christmas songs with my friends and host community.


It was just wonderful and rejuvenating having them here and remembering what special people I am blessed to have in my family. Truly a great way to start off the new year.


I also want to share this reflection with you. In the midst of another culture (other cultures, really) I often pause at the opportunity to see things in my narrow life from other perspectives. That can really be such an important gift. I just wanted to celebrate that with you though this poem by Monica Furlong.



My Neighbour

I am glad you made my neighbour different from me;
a different coloured skin,
a different shaped face;
a different response to you.
I need my neighbour
to teach me about you:
she knows all the things I don't know.



Happy New Year, everyone - and may we all look for opportunities to learn from others in this new year!




0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home